Gender equality is a human right and a guiding principle and quality feature of our work.
The emphasis is on creating and expanding equal opportunities for all individuals regardless of their gender, sexual orientation and gender identity. Together with our partners we drive the gender-equality-agenda, build institutional capacities and support individuals in enjoying their rights and unleashing their potentials. Many of GIZ’s projects and internal practices and provisions attest to this and demonstrate how gender-based discrimination and disparities can be overcome in a pursuit to realize gender equality.
Thanks to the GIZ-Gender Strategy, the Safeguards+Gender Management System and well proven and applied approaches to promoting and strengthening gender equality around the world, we are well-positioned and equipped to actively contribute to gender justice in our company and around the world.
Let’s team up and work together to close existing gender gaps and realize equal rights and opportunities, now and for ALL!
Dirk Aßmann and Angela Langenkamp
GIZ Gender Strategy
‚Gender reloaded: Vision needs Attitude – Attitude meets Action’
The promotion of gender equality and the elimination of gender-based disadvantages and discrimination through our services and commission management and the promotion of equal opportunities policy within the company are two strategic pillars of our corporate-policy orientation. The GIZ Gender Strategy embodies those two pillars and actively communicates them inside and outside the company. Its implementation is organized around five strategic pillars: political will and accountability, corporate culture, gender knowledge, supporting processes and the promotion of equal opportunities within GIZ.
GIZ’s Gender Strategy is a binding framework for all GIZ managers, employees and workforce members. They bring the strategy to life and translate it into specific action. An extensive internal network including more than 300 gender focal points in Germany and abroad is instrumental in implementing the Gender Strategy.
The Gender Strategy includes a clear presentation of the gender architecture in the company and GIZ’s position on gender diversity and gender justice. Itis binding for subcontractors, too, and it is a source information and guidance for commissioning parties and partners.
The annual monitoring and reporting cycle begins on 1st July and ends on 30th June. The results will be available in a consolidated manner for strategy and annual planning purposes. They will also be included in the Integrated Corporate Report (IUB).
You want to learn more about the strategy, watch our short introductory video or download the strategy itself:
Gender Strategy Full Text (pdf)
Gender Strategy Key Messages (pdf)
Onboarding Video on Gender in GIZ
Gender Award 2022
The Award Winners are:
GG1 – Gender Equality is an important and deliberate objective
3rd Place: Parent Teacher Councils-PTCs
GG2 – Gender Equality is the main objective of the project
GM – Gender Mainstreaming inside GIZ
3rd Place: Gender Group Egypt
GIZ Gender Gateway - GIZ internal only
IDA Gender Community - GIZ internal only
- MenstruAction – From Enthusiasm to Action: See how the GIZ Staff Initiative joined the Global Menstrual Health and Hygiene Movement (5/25/2022) Posted in: Gender Week Blog - Just in time for Menstrual Hygiene Day on 28th May, the GIZ Staff Initiative MenstruAction celebrates the journey from its… …
- Digital transformation and democracy: Why do we need to talk about gender-based online violence? (5/17/2022) Posted in: Gender Week Blog - Reading and sharing information, as well as exchanging personal views online, has become a daily routine for many people. While… …
- GIZ Bangladesh -Gender Equality for a Sustainable Tomorrow (3/21/2022) Posted in: Gender Week Blog - GIZ Bangladesh Gender Working Group (GWG) observed the International Women’s Day 2022 by hosting an online event on 8 March.… …
- “Support of Regional Economic Cooperation in Asia (SRECA)” brings together Chinese, German and Mongolian women entrepreneurs (3/21/2022) Posted in: Gender Week Blog - In 2022, "Support of Regional Economic Cooperation in Asia (SRECA)" brings together Chinese, German and Mongolian women entrepreneurs for the… …
- How to grow women-led ventures (2/15/2022) Posted in: Gender Week Blog - Women face special challenges when starting and growing a business. Accelerators provide mentorship and training. However, many are unduly tailored… …