Gender equality is a human right and a guiding principle and quality feature of our work.
The emphasis is on creating and expanding equal opportunities for all individuals regardless of their gender, sexual orientation and gender identity. Together with our partners we drive the gender-equality-agenda, build institutional capacities and support individuals in enjoying their rights and unleashing their potentials. Many of GIZ’s projects and internal practices and provisions attest to this and demonstrate how gender-based discrimination and disparities can be overcome in a pursuit to realize gender equality.
Thanks to the GIZ-Gender Strategy, the Safeguards+Gender Management System and well proven and applied approaches to promoting and strengthening gender equality around the world, we are well-positioned and equipped to actively contribute to gender justice in our company and around the world.
Let’s team up and work together to close existing gender gaps and realize equal rights and opportunities, now and for ALL!
GIZ Gender Strategy
‚Gender reloaded: Vision needs Attitude – Attitude meets Action’
The promotion of gender equality and the elimination of gender-based disadvantages and discrimination through our services and commission management and the promotion of equal opportunities policy within the company are two strategic pillars of our corporate-policy orientation. The GIZ Gender Strategy embodies those two pillars and actively communicates them inside and outside the company. Its implementation is organized around five strategic pillars: political will and accountability, corporate culture, gender knowledge, supporting processes and the promotion of equal opportunities within GIZ.
GIZ’s Gender Strategy is a binding framework for all GIZ managers, employees and workforce members. They bring the strategy to life and translate it into specific action. An extensive internal network including more than 300 gender focal points in Germany and abroad is instrumental in implementing the Gender Strategy.
The Gender Strategy includes a clear presentation of the gender architecture in the company and GIZ’s position on gender diversity and gender justice. Itis binding for subcontractors, too, and it is a source information and guidance for commissioning parties and partners.
The annual monitoring and reporting cycle begins on 1st July and ends on 30th June. The results will be available in a consolidated manner for strategy and annual planning purposes. They will also be included in the Integrated Corporate Report (IUB).
You want to learn more about the strategy, watch our short introductory video or download the strategy itself:
Gender Strategy Full Text (pdf)
Gender Strategy Key Messages (pdf)
Onboarding Video on Gender in GIZ
Gender Award 2022
The Award Winners are:
GG1 – Gender Equality is an important and deliberate objective
3rd Place: Parent Teacher Councils-PTCs
GG2 – Gender Equality is the main objective of the project
GM – Gender Mainstreaming inside GIZ
3rd Place: Gender Group Egypt
GIZ Gender Gateway - GIZ internal only
IDA Gender Community - GIZ internal only
- Discover the new version of the Junt@s app, a digital tool to prevent violence against women! (8/29/2023) Posted in: Gender Week Blog - In June 2023, CNT (The National Telecommunications Company) presented the new version of the Junt@s mobile application, available for free… …
- Strengthening women as a future pillar of the Tunisian economy (7/31/2023) Posted in: Gender Week Blog - Tunisia has a wealth of women's skills capable of making a difference in the growth rate of the national economy.… …
- Launch of the #WomenCall: WIDU and WoMENA join forces to empower women entrepreneurs in Tunisia (7/10/2023) Posted in: Gender Week Blog - On July 1, the #WomenCall, a new offer to support women entrepreneurs, was launched exclusively and for the first time… …
- Unidas Week 2023 – Foreign Minister Baerbock presents Unidas Award to Colombian Vice-President Márquez (7/10/2023) Posted in: Gender Week Blog - During her visit to Latin America, Federal Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock honoured Colombian Vice President Francia Márquez with the Unidas… …
- Breaking Ground: Exploring the Gendered Impact of the Energy Transition on Mining Communities (5/30/2023) Posted in: Gender Week Blog - 31.05.2023, 10:45-11:45 AM (CEST) This side event at the margins of the BMZ High-Level Forum on Mineral Supply Chains will… …