Gender equality is a human right and a guiding principle and quality feature of our work.
The emphasis is on creating and expanding equal opportunities for all individuals regardless of their gender, sexual orientation and gender identity. Together with our partners we drive the gender-equality-agenda, build institutional capacities and support individuals in enjoying their rights and unleashing their potentials. Many of GIZ’s projects and internal practices and provisions attest to this and demonstrate how gender-based discrimination and disparities can be overcome in a pursuit to realize gender equality.
Thanks to the GIZ-Gender Strategy, the Safeguards+Gender Management System and well proven and applied approaches to promoting and strengthening gender equality around the world, we are well-positioned and equipped to actively contribute to gender justice in our company and around the world.
Let’s team up and work together to close existing gender gaps and realize equal rights and opportunities, now and for ALL!
Dirk Aßmann and Angela Langenkamp
GIZ Gender Strategy
‚Gender reloaded: Vision needs Attitude – Attitude meets Action’
The promotion of gender equality and the elimination of gender-based disadvantages and discrimination through our services and commission management and the promotion of equal opportunities policy within the company are two strategic pillars of our corporate-policy orientation. The GIZ Gender Strategy embodies those two pillars and actively communicates them inside and outside the company. Its implementation is organized around five strategic pillars: political will and accountability, corporate culture, gender knowledge, supporting processes and the promotion of equal opportunities within GIZ.
GIZ’s Gender Strategy is a binding framework for all GIZ managers, employees and workforce members. They bring the strategy to life and translate it into specific action. An extensive internal network including more than 300 gender focal points in Germany and abroad is instrumental in implementing the Gender Strategy.
The Gender Strategy includes a clear presentation of the gender architecture in the company and GIZ’s position on gender diversity and gender justice. Itis binding for subcontractors, too, and it is a source information and guidance for commissioning parties and partners.
The annual monitoring and reporting cycle begins on 1st July and ends on 30th June. The results will be available in a consolidated manner for strategy and annual planning purposes. They will also be included in the Integrated Corporate Report (IUB).
You want to learn more about the strategy, watch our short introductory video or download the strategy itself:
Gender Strategy Full Text (pdf)
Gender Strategy Key Messages (pdf)
Onboarding Video on Gender in GIZ
Gender Award 2020
The Award Winners are:
GG1 – Gender Equality is an important and deliberate objective
Please find all the Runners-Up in the GG1 Category here.
GG2 – Gender Equality is the main objective of the project
Please find the Runners-Up in the GG2 Category here.
GM – Gender Mainstreaming inside GIZ
3rd Place: Small Steps, big Changes! Brazil
Please find the Runners-Up in the Gender Mainstreaming Category here.
GIZ Gender Gateway - GIZ internal only
IDA Gender Community - GIZ internal only
- We can only achieve it together! GIZ colleagues from more than 28 countries join hands for a world free of period poverty and stigma Posted in: Gender Week Blog - No one should be kept from realizing their full potential because they menstruate! GIZ colleagues worldwide – from interns to… …
- A new generation running up the stairs by Véronique Sprenger, Sport for Development in Africa (S4DA) Team Ethiopia Posted in: Gender Week Blog - After a long work week, on Friday afternoon my friends and I decide to go to a café located right… …
- Its Women’s Turn, in the People’s Game by Frank Olukohe, S4DA Team Ghana/Kenya Posted in: Gender Week Blog - Habiba’s efforts to increase participation of girls in football and use sport to address socialchallenges in Kakuma Refugee Camp,… …
- LEADERSHIP HAS NO GENDER! Posted in: Gender Week Blog - “What makes a true leader? Does gender matter?”. This question is often raised in every discussion whenever we talk about… …
- #womenmobilize – Showing diversity in the mobility sector Posted in: Gender Week Blog - Mobility is a fundamental part of urban life. As long as we live in cities, people and goods will need… …