RIGHTS – Day 1 offers a holistic WenDo self-defence and –assertion training, tailored for women and is considered as a means of preventing violence. WenDo goes beyond the concept of teaching physical techniques as it is based on a confrontation with patriarchal power relations and learned victim attitudes. The training includes discussion modules as well as exercises on voice, looks, body language and self-assertion. Participants are female personnel from the German Embassy and various German organisations in Egypt, including GIZ, KfW, German Embassy, Goethe Institute, DAAD and German foundations.
Simultaneously, a one-day workshop Embracing Masculinities will be conducted in English for male personnel from the German Embassy and various German organisations in Egypt, including GIZ, KfW, German Embassy, Goethe Institute, DAAD and German foundations. The workshop provides a male safe space, introducing concepts surrounding:
- Gender identity and gender roles
- Masculinities and its various forms with examples in daily personal and work lives
- Understanding and combating various forms of Gender-based violence (GBV)
- How to realise gender transformative, peaceful and inclusive communities
- Introducing the Leave No One Behind (LNOB) concept
- Mental health and social awareness